Re: using xfig + latex

Because I'm Polish, I very offen face the problem of using
"nonstandard" characters in Xfig figures (I hope that one day Xfig
will support Unicode and then all Polish characters as well as other
national characters will be standard...).
Usually I use three methods:
1) Enter the text using the latex syntax (I use the babel package, and
   then enter ą as "a, ć as "c and so on). The text should have the
   "special" flag turned on. Next I export the file in pstex_t format,
   and include it into my LaTeX document.
   In the same way it is possible to enter very complex math formulas,
   however one problem exists: The bounding box is calculated by
   LaTeX before the interpretation of text, so if the "source text" of
   formula extends beyond the figure limits, the results may be very
   "interesting" :-).
2) The next method converts the figure into the EPS, using
   the special LaTeX wrapper, then corrects the bounding box with the
   "psfixbb" program (I attached the "fixltx2ps" script which performs all
   these operations). The resulting corrected EPS file may be included
   into the LaTeX documents.
3) Use the "psfrag" package. This method is more robust, but also
   more complex, because the information i splited between the xfig file
   and the latex file, which may cause problems if you are going to use
   the same figure in many places. Additionally there are some problems
   with font scaling and figure scalling. (More information may be
   found in documentation of the psfrag package:
   /usr/doc/texmf/latex/psfrag/pfgguide.ps  (in my system))

				Hope this helps a little
				Wojtek Zabolotny
				wzab@ipe.pw.edu.pl