Help needed with laptop

Hallo all,
	I relly hope you can help me with this REALLY annoying problem. I recently bought
a Sony VAIO 747 (impulse) and I want to put Debian on it (I have 2.0 (hamm)).
	I can put Red Hat 5.1 on it easily. But Debian is a bitch. Sometimes it starts and
sometimes it doesn't. It loads the root.bin alright but after loading most of the kernel, the laptop
reboots. Sometimes it doesn't.
	If it does start then I can install the CD OK, but on the reboot I get a 1FA prompt.
If I press 1 for /dev/hda then I get a prompt of 1234F.
	It doesn't what I do the machine will not start with Debian on it. Red Hat works
perfectly so it's not the hardware. If the CD boots then I'm assuming that the kernel works OK
with the hardware, but the fact that it aborts during the 'loading kernel' stage is suspect.
	I'm inclined to think that it may be the way lilo is operation. Red Hat seems
to install lilo into /dev/hda and debian seems to install to /dev/hda1. Maybe I'm wrong
here I could use that cleared up.
	Anyway, any help with this will be much appreciated.