Re: LILO's now working(thanks!), BUT...

Brandon Mitchell wrote:

> > > Did you check the jumpersettings at the disks?
> > > You have to tell a haddisk, whether it's a slave or the primary disk.
> > > Only primary disks can be bootable.
> >
> >   This is something I was wondering about (I'm new to PCs and Linux):
> > BIOS doesn't show any information about master/slave disks. I played
> > around with the setup but with no result.
> >
> >   I've got an ASUSTEK P2B-S mothercard with Ultra-2 SCSI contoller (SCSI
> > storage
> > controller: Adaptec AIC-7890). (in some postings I saw a formatted
> > description of the
> > hardware configuration, is that obtained by a command or from some
> > file?)
>
> Looks like you have a SCSI only system (no IDE), which is nice (wish I had
> one).  I believe SCSI cards have their own bios thing for booting, but
> you'll need to look at the booting messages to figure out how to get into
> it.  On pc's, they are usually made with cheap parts, which means IDE.
> IDE can only have 2 drives per ide interface (master and slave) (systems
> now-a-days how two interfaces, making a max of 4 ide drives).  SCSI
> doesn't have any of these restrictions, but it probably won't show up in
> your normal bios unless the scsi controller is built into the motherboard.

  That's right: I've got a SCSI control utility which I can run during
startup, it allows me to determine the disk to boot from. I have Windows
NT
on disk 0 and Linux on disk 1, setting the id to 1 seems to start
booting from
the second hard disk but then it hangs after printing LI.  I still don't
know
if the problem is due to my actual configuration: file systems are
mounted
from /dev/sdb* and I'm not quite sure if I have to and how to change
this: I've
tried various LILO configurations with /dev/sd[ab] for boot and root but
none
seems to work.

*--
Mamoun ALISSALI
LIUM                           Tel: (33-2) -02-43 83 38 47
UNIVERSITE DU MAINE            Fax: (33-2) -02-43 83 38 68
Avenue Olivier Messiaen        E-mail: alissali@lium.univ-lemans.fr
72085 LE MANS CEDEX 9          http://www-ic2.univ-lemans.fr/~alissali