flashing LEDs: LILO & keyboard

Hi there!

This is a serious problem I have had in the past few days. After
installing the latest Debian distribution on a PC, I recompiled a new
kernel, and installed it with LILO. Now the machine boots correctly, but
when the LILO prompt appears, the keyboard LEDs start to flash, and no
keyboard input is possible. X11 can be started, but without mouse or
keyboard control. All other things work fine (network etc.).

The hardware is a single Pentium II, 440LX chipset, three SCSI disks on an
Adaptec AIC-7881, no IDE devices (IDE ports are off). The strange thing is
that there is no problem when you boot from the debian boot floppy, and
there was no problem during installation after the base system was
installed and the machine was rebooted. The problem appears whenever I
boot from the hard disk. It is not even possible to select a kernel image,
as no keyboard input is possible after LILO appears on the screen (it also
works fine before this point). Also, the problem is independent of the
kernel image and the lilo configuration (I also tried it with the
lilo.conf file supplied by debian on the base system). The compact and
linear flags do not help either.

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance,

         Andras