Re: sound in netscape

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Alexander Kushnirenko wrote:

> I guess you should put yourself in group audio.

That's a slightly less brutal solution, but, alas, I'm not sure how to do
it.  You see, I AM in group audio, but processes that I start run under my
user ID, not my group ID unless I explicitly tell them to use my group ID.
Just being a member of group audio is not enough.

Oddly, if I login as me, switch to group audio with 'newgrp audio', I can
use /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, etc, but I can't run 'startx'.  I don't
understand this, as startx is rwxr_xr_x, so obviously I don't quite
understand groups.

Perhaps you can tell me exactly what commands you think I should run?  I
would prefer to start Netscape by selecting it from the window manager
menu, and not by explicitly typing a command.

Anyway, thanks for your help.  I'm a little puzzled as to why I'm the only
one having this problem, as I can't find anything about it on DejaNews.
Did everybody else just change the permissions on the audio devices?  Do I
need to reinstall Netscape with the .deb package now that I have sound
support in my kernel?

thanks,

Richard Hall