libc5 segfault; rindex()

Hello..

I'm using Debian 2.0 i386 (hamm), and can't get libc5 programs to run.

The libc5 package is installed, and I've tried upgrading to the most
recent frozen version.  It hasn't helped.

Every libc5 program gets a segfault at startup, and gdb tells me it
crashes in the rindex() function, probably in the startup code before
the program gets control.

This problem shows up on both of my Debian systems, so I'm guessing I
just didn't install something properly.  Any advice?

( \/ ( \/ (__ (__ ) | ~  Scott Scriven (Toy Keeper / XYZZ)    |
 \  / \  /  //  //  | mailto:toykeeper@cheerful.com           |
 /  \ / /  //_ //_  | mailto:scriven@CS.ColoState.edu         |
(_/\_(_/  (___(___) | http://www.vis.colostate.edu/~scriven/  |