C++ compiler and lyx install

Hello-

I'm (a newbie) trying to do something relatively simple: install lyx on
debian. When I try to use configure it complains that it's unable to find a
working C++ compiler (that I'm virtually certain exists). What am I missing?
Here's my failed configure attempt:

boogy:/usr/local/lyx-0.12.0# ./configure
configuring LyX version 0.12.0
checking for prefix by checking for lyx... /usr/bin/lyx
checking for a working C++ compiler... configure: error: Unable to find a
working C++ compiler
boogy:/usr/local/lyx-0.12.0# which gcc
/usr/bin/gcc

I also have a rather mundane question: where does one specify that a screen
saver be used in debian? I can't seem to find reference to this anywhere.

Thanks much.

-Brent