Re: Getting KDE up and running.

In a message dated 1/10/99 11:16:54 PM Central Standard Time,
frodo@ccs.neu.edu writes:

> > That is a good point - but is there another way to do it?  I could set up
>  > start-kdm line in config, but wouldn't that also get overridden?
>
>  No.  Your config files are not overwritten.  That the difference between
>  upgrading an existing system and completely re-installing.  That's what
>  makes Debian so powerful.  Put start-kdm in the config file, and use the
>  init script technique that I emailed you the other day.  It really is the
>  most flexible way to do it, and it will cause you the fewest headaches
>  down the road when you start upgrading things.

Okay, I managed to set up the start-kdm functionality for this part of things
- and it brings kdm up with no problems.

>  Put startkde in the first line of /etc/X11/window-managers.

This just flat out doesn't work.  I get my kdm window, log in, and then it
looks like kdm shuts down and restarts - I get a flash of windows and then
another kdm login screen.  Are you sure that putting a script in the window-
managers file will work?  Mine doesn't seem to.

Frankly, I can't figure out any way of starting a group of programs when the
window manager starts - and one that won't get overriden the next time I
upgrade.

>  kfm is the file manager.  It provides the "desktop" functionality.
>  kfmclient is the thing that creates the file manager's windows for you to
>  use.

I dislike the file manager functions of kfm - do you know of a way to get the
desktop to work without starting the file manager as well?

Thanks,
jay