Re: Why not as a newsgroup?

Tom Persons wrote:

> Maybe I missed something but why is this even an issue? I have configured my
> mail client (in windows for the time being) to route all debian-user mail to
> a seperate folder. Sure it can be cumbersome to wait for a couple hundred
> e-mails to download but with a 56K connection I can surf or do whatever in
> the meantime. Maybe if someone wanted to mirror this list on a website for
> those with less patience that would be a viable alternative. We should have
> cable modems in my area by the summer, maybe I will undertake this task.

	Newsgroups allow you to only download the subject lines of the
messages instead of have to download all messages whether you
would have read them or not.  I'm glad you have a 56k connection,
but keep in mind there are others with only 33.6 or 28.8
connections.  Downloading 400-500 messages at 28.8, or less, still
takes awhile.
	Anyway, stick around, this debate is bound to start up again in
2-3 months when another new debian user innocently asks why there
isn't debian newsgroup server, without realizing the furor that
will ensue :-).

--
Ed C.