Re: Learning more/Linux programming books

ktb <ktb@binary.net> writes:

> I did a few searches in user's archives and came up with the book
> "Beginning Linux Programming.'  I read a review and it said it was for
> people who already have programming experience.  I have none.

Given that you use Linux you definitely want to program in C.
Now, you can get beginner's C/C++ books by the truckload, but the
majority of them have a definite Windows slant. I'd advise getting
the original text: "The C programming language", 2nd edition,
by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie. It is brief enough not
to bury the reader in system-dependent details, and by the
time you've worked through it you should know enough to begin
reading up on the Linux specific material.

It is probably going to take some years before you are up to
programming window managers, which are rather intricate beasts.

A strong desire to program is needed, along with infinite supplies
of persistence and patience. That goes no matter how you start.

--
Henning Makholm
http://www.diku.dk/students/makholm