Re: Problem.

At 06:00 PM 1/10/99 -0600, you wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 10, 1999 at 07:01:14AM -0800, Chris Wong wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> 	I've got a problem with my Dual P2 system. I've done a fresh install, and
>> everything works great! I then, wanted to recompile using SMP, so I
>> uncommented
>> the line, and then recompiled with the source the CD(2.0 hamm) installed
>> in my /usr/src/linux. From there, it doesn't detect my SCSI HDD. And then
>> it ends up not being able to mount the root fs. Please help.
>>
>> Chris Wong | cw@addm.com
>> AD Digital Media Inc. (c) 1998
>> http://addm.com/
>>

>> --
/dev/null

>What exact steps did you take?
>Here's what I did using the kernel-source-2.0.36 package that I have
>Change the version # to whatever you downloaded (I think hamm has 2.0.34)
>1. Untar the tar file it puts in /usr/src
>2. ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.0.36 /usr/src/linux
>3. make menuconfig, or xconfig (did you do this, you didn't mention it)
>Make sure you compile SCSI, SCSI HD, and binfmt_elf support into the
kernel. Personally, I disabled module support and compiled every driver/fs
type that I use into the kernel.
>4. Uncomment the line in the makefile (could be done before #3, but I'm
not sure if make *config touches the Makefile)
>5. If you use lilo, run make zlilo. To make a boot disk, run make zdisk.
>6. If you chose modules, do make modules_install
>Any questions? Reply and I'll do my best to help.

	Yeah, I did those steps, but the fresh install saw all of my hardware,
etc. But,
it didn't detect my HDD. So I get a "Kernel Panic: VFS: can't mount root fs".
I mean, I'm pretty stuck, and this has never happened to me before.

Chris Wong | cw@addm.com
AD Digital Media Inc. (c) 1998
http://addm.com/