Starting another Xterm in X

Curious about something...

When my X comes up (under XDM and KDE), it automagically starts an xterm
session.  Obviously, this comes from my Xsession file.

Well, I tried to start another xterm window from the first one, but for some
reason, it doesn't recognize the aliases the first window does.  What gives?
I typed the xterm command line exactly as it came from the Xsession file, and
it didn't help.  Isn't the second xterm session reading the .bash_profile and
/etc/profile at startup?

-Jay