GNOME and Packages

I am very new to Debian, and linux in general.  I installed hamm, base12
this afternoon, and tried to install GNOME with it but when I told the
install to get the packages from the floppies where I had copied the files
I downloaded from GNOME's ftp site it said there were no packages there?

Also.. I was told by someone in an irc.debian.org channel that the dir
command worked in Debian, but it doesn't work for me.

Rogue - One who travels apart from the pack, and is wild and fierce.