Menu in fvwm2

Whenever I install a program which provides a menu entry I have to do an
"update-menus" from my user account after installing a package. Otherwise
there is no menu entry in fvwm2.

At work I use Window Maker and there the installation procedure takes care of
the menu entry. It's not necessary to issue said command as user.

Can anybody out there explain this? Both systems run hamm although the
installation method is different: At home I use dpkg-mountable pointing to the
cdrom reader and at work I use dpkg-ftp. But somehow I doubt that this could
be the reason for the difference.