Re: Why not as a newsgroup?

Mike Touloumtzis wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 09, 1999 at 08:12:40PM +0100, Thomas Adams wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 01:09:59AM -0800, Martin Waller wrote:
> >
> > > I for one would no longer to be able to get the list.  I access the
> > > internet through a firewall.  The policy is restricted viewing only of
> > > some newsnet news groups.
> > >
> > > There is no way to either connect to a different news server nor post to
> > > usenet.
> > >
> > > So the newsgroup way would be impossible for me to access.
> >
> > OHHHH, pity you... Can't afford a private ISP? Come on, this is the
> > most ridiculous argument I've ever read. If your employer's net access
> > doesn't work properly, get a real ISP account for home.
> >

> Whether or not you choose to acknowledge it, the firewall issue is
> a real one for many people (myself included).

	This argument always seems to boil down to one or the other
(email-list vs. newsgroup).  This isn't what I'm advocating, nor
is it a realistic possibility, precisely because many can't use a
newsgroup.  I would hope for a news.debian.org news server which
was connected (gated?) to the email list, so that one could chose
their preference with the knowledge they are getting everything
that is going on the other email-list/newsgroup.  We would
restrict this server to serving only the official Debian lists,
including debian-user, and not the Usenet to keep the load down to
a minimum (someone at my ISP said their (full Usenet) newserver is
chewing up hard drives at the rate of one every 4/5 months).  One
could then choose their preference without having to give up
anything.
	The problem as someone mentioned earlier, is that debian.org
supposedly doesn't have the resources for this.  I personally
don't know what it would take to set something like the above
scenario up.  Can somebody lay out the details of what this idea
would take?  At least we would have some concrete info to use in
this debate (instead of 'newsgroup suxs' or 'I like it the way it
is').
	As the traffic load on debian-user continues to grow (because of
growing popularity of Debian), this argument, like it or not, will
continue to increasingly show up on this list (IIRC, I've seen
this twice before already), and it won't help matters to keep
'blowing off' the minority in this debate.  Judging from some of
the responses to this thread, including my own I'm afraid, we've
got enough upset people, on both sides of the fence, as it is.

--
Ed C.