Re: Re: compiling a kernel

Quoting MallarJ@aol.com (MallarJ@aol.com):
> In a message dated 1/7/99 3:41:51 PM Central Standard Time, martin@internet-
> treff.uni-koeln.de writes:
>
> > M> Is there a way to find out what options the current kernel has been
> >  M> compiled with?  I don't want to miss anything or add anything that
> >  M> I don't already have and won't need.
> >
> >  If you use a kernel made with kernel-package or one of the
> >  kernel-binary Debian packages, then the config is saved in /boot/
> >
> >  Also the .config file may be in your old source tree.
> >

> Thanks for the try Martin, but that didn't give me what I need.

IIRC you need to fetch the kernel-image package in base, obviously
the appropriate version. Within the .deb file is /boot/config-2.0.xx
which I believe corresponds to installation kernel.

But if you compile a kernel with "make menuconfig" and read all the help
information (or browse to file /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help
when you've unpacked the kernel-source, it's not to difficult to see
what you need, and you'll learn a lot.

Just make sure you have a floppy for booting your current kernel in case
you leave out an essential (like SCSI drivers if you need them) and get
a kernel panic.

Cheers,