Re: dselect access screen does not have ftp update method

On Thu, Jan 07, 1999 at 09:32:41PM +0900, David Wayne Williams wrote:
> I've tried to use dselect to update my Debian distribution via FTP.
> However, the dselect access menu items does not contain an FTP option.  How
> can I fix dselect or use other means to update my debian distribution?
>
> Thank you in advance
I usually using apt-get to updating and upgrading my system.
If You using hamm (debian 2.0) You must get the apt from there
section admin ( if I remember correctly)
before You can use apt-get,
if You have slink(debian 2.1) get the apt from slink/admin
than You can do:
1.
apt-get -s update ; apt-get -s dist-upgrade
to see what will apt do if You Upgrade Your  system completly
no matter no real work done, if You find it will work ok just
delete the -s and try
apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade
packages upgrading/installation is similar:
apt-get -s update <package> ; apt-get -s install <package>
apt-get update <package> ; apt-get install <package>
Note:
You have eventually change the entries in:
'/etc/apt/sources.list'
to Your needs.
If using apt to upgrade hamm to slink after the dist-upgrade run
You must:
install the packages:
xterm and xmodmap and also the xfont-upgrades You need, this is
not done automatically via apt-get, because the X-Package was
splitting in several parts and apt can't know this nor can't get
"see" this in Your package-list.
After that the system still runs fine,

cYa
--