Re: 8G ide harddrive limit?

Been there, done that.

You have to tell Linux pretty early about the over 8Gb drives.  I was
installing Debian 2.0 (hamm) to an 11Gb disk.  You know on the install
disk boot, where it stops to ask about extra parameters that you
normally don't need?  Well, you need one, roughly of this form:

hda=23059,16,63

(That's the numbers from mine.  Generically, it's
hdx=cyls,heads,sectors).

Doing this, cfdisk was happy.  In order to access this disk during
normal operations, this is what is in my /etc/lilo.conf...

[...other stuff...]
image=/vmlinuz
  label=Linux
  read-only
  append="hda=23059,16,63"

There may be other ways around this particular nastiness, but this way
worked for me.

Jim Russell
Crypto Engineer
LockStar, Inc.