Re: [X]Emacs vs. vi[m] (was Re: Why is XEmacs better than Emacs?)

Chris> Hash: SHA1

Chris> What are people's reasons for using [x]emacs over vim or vim over
Chris> [x]emacs? I currently am using vim, and love it, but would like to hear
Chris> from both sides.

Well, I think it's just a matter of personal taste. I started my Unix career
using vi cause nobody knew emacs. Nowadays emacs is my favourite cause I can
do all the daily work with it:

   o Programming/ Compiling /Debugging
   o Documentation (LaTeX with auctex package)
   o Reading Mail/ News with gnus
   o Browsing on remote machines with ange-ftp
   o and much more.

All with one single gui, the keystrokes are many but not very difficult to
understand, cause they're most the same in all modes. But the people at my
office that only know emacs because they don't want a command based editor I
ask what they do if emacs is installed on a partition that isn't accessable
or without X-access or by some dumb terminal settings.

So I think for the daily work emacs is the more powerfull tool, but to quick
check a file on a remote machine using a telnet connection vi(m) is the
better.
             Peter

Peter Weiss, Sonnenstraße 17, D-26123 Oldenburg, Tel:  0441/ 81058
---    The foolish ones taught more to me than the wise ones ever could    ---