Re: X keeps crashing?

arch wrote:

> Hi
>
> Ive been very happy with debian so far. But the only thing that im not unhappy about
> is why X keeps crashing on me.ive been promised that linux is a much stable OS.
>
> My card is a s3 virge/gx2
> running at 24 bit with a virtual resolution of 1028 768
> using the SVGA server
> the server would load and apps would start
> but somewhere in the middle of nowhere..the whole system hangs
> ctrl+del+alt doesnt rebooot and system or any other keys
>
> can anyone please help me with this problem?
Is your card agp or pci? If it's an AGP card, you need to add the line
`Chipset s3_virge' to the Devices section for your card in
/etc/X11/XF86Config. It's a bug in XFree86 3.3.2.3, and is fixed in the
3.3.3 release.

| ian eure, network admin, freelance security consultant, and  |
| manically depressed paranoid schizophrenic, at your service. |
;           <ieure@minion.org> - http://minion.org             ;
:           raw speed = 105.6 wpm with 4.5% errors             :