Re: less shows fortune

Stef Hoesli Wiederwald <debian@sos.ethz.ch> writes:

> > There probably a mismatched quote somewhere, or something similar.
> >
> > Post /etc/profile and /etc/csh.cshrc here, the error should be obvious
> > to spot
>
> I don't think so:
>
> # /etc/profile: system-wide .profile file for bash(1).
>
> PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games"
> PS1="\\$ "
>
> export PATH PS1
>
> umask 002
> /usr/bin/check-sendfile
> echo "\n"
> fortune -a
> echo ""

try changing the above to:

case $- in
  *i*)		# interactive shell only
    /usr/bin/check-sendfile
    echo "\n"
    fortune -a
    echo ""
    ;;
esac

I think the problem is that your shell script is sourcing /etc/profile
when it starts up, so the above change will allow it to execute in an
interactive shell only.

You really shouldn't have anything executable that has an output in
your profile.  The above does work in bash, but I don't know how tcsh
is different, so you should check out the details first.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org