4 button Logitech MouseMan and XFree86

I have a 4 button Logitech MouseMan (has a thumb button) and my buttons
don't work correctly in X.  The thumb button seems to ack as the middle
button and the middle button doesn't work at all.  Here's what my
current XF86Config file looks like (just the pointer section):

Section
"Pointer"
   Protocol
"MouseMan"
   Device
"/dev/mouse"
   BaudRate
9600
   Resolution
200
   Buttons
4
EndSection

Then I tried using xmodmap to swap the buttons:

xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 4 3 2"

Now only the left and right mouse buttons work.

Anyone have one of these mice?  What can I do to fix my configuration?

Thanks
-Paul