Re: How to use a ramdisk?

On Thu, Dec 03, 1998 at 05:34:08PM -0800, Eric House wrote:
> So there's no point in using ramdisks at all for non-boot tasks?
You could use it to build a diskless client, e.g. make an X-terminal out of
an old 486 with enough memory and a decent graphics card.

To use a ramdisk on a running system:
  mke2fs /dev/ram1 number_of_512_bytes_blocks
  mount /dev/ram1 /your_mountpoint

> I've read elsewhere that loading a compiler's include files, or
> frequently referenced documentation, or an emulators's file system,
> into a ramdisk would significantly improve performance.  That's
> not true?
Not under linux. It will keep the right things in RAM automatically.

> Thanks, BTW, (to you and others) for the quick responses.
>
> --Eric House

> PS /usr/src/linux/Documentation/ramdisk.txt does not talk about using
> ramdisks in any context other than for creating boot floppies.  I guess
> that's because they're pretty much useless otherwise?
Probably.

Nils

| Quotes from the net:  L> Linus Torvalds, W> Winfried Truemper               |
| L>this is the special easter release of linux, more mundanely called 1.3.84 |
| W>Umh, oh. What do you mean by "special easter release"?. Will it quit      |
* W>working today and rise on easter?                                         *