Re: suid script

On Thu, Dec 03, 1998 at 01:01:26PM +0000, Pere Camps wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 	I want my users to be able to execute this script:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> /sbin/kbdrate -r 30 -d 250
> /etc/init.d/gpm stop
> /etc/init.d/gpm start
>
> 	The problem is that these programs need root's privileges. I've
> suid the script root:root but still the programs say I don't have he right
> permisions to execute them.

First off, chown'ing them root.root does not make them suid, that requires
chmod 4xxx or 2xxx (the first is suid, the second is sgid). I would
strongly suggest you now do this. Instead download either the sudo or (my
preference) super package and use them instead since they have much more
control and security than simply setting the scripts suid.

good luck

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org