Re: Understanding /root Re: My solution

At 02:10 AM 12/3/98 PST, Michael Wahl wrote:
>So,  I make a guess:
>
>For my first time installation:
>	1.7GB hard disk, 98MB RAM
>

>	-NT40, Win95 (I?m not sure about this)
>-Staroffice
>	-ME10, ProE (CAD Software)
>	-Excel
>	-Neoplanet (Net Browser)
>	-CorelDraw7
>	-Some Games (WingCommander, Forsakken)
>	-other stuff (collecting pictures)
>
>	I decided to partition my hard disk into:
>		/boot	50MB
>		/home	50MB (maybe more)
>		/root	50MB
>		/var	150MB (maybe more)
>		/usr	700MB
>		/etc	50MB
>		/swap	128MB
>		/dos	200MB
>		/tmp	50MB
>		---------------------
>		Sum.	1428MB	-> rest: 270MB for ???
>
>Would this be a good idea? Any criticism welcome!!!

First, I'm assuming that /dos is going to be where you install NT40/Win95?

if this is correct, then you definitely need to rethink that partition.
Win95 will take ~120MB to install just the OS.  NT40 takes even more.  If
you're going to have any applications at all for Windows, you'll need even
more space.

Next,  you don't need to make separate partitions for /etc or /boot.  If
you want to make a separate directory for /tmp, 50MB is probably plenty there.

here's how I would probably chunk this disk up:

		/dos		500MB  (maybe less depending how many Win apps you want)
					 (I wouldn't go less than 350MB considering it's Windows)
		/usr/local	300MB  (do this for local programs that won't change with
upgrades)
		/home		100MB  (this depends on # users, amt. stuff they'll have)
		/tmp		50MB
		/swap		128MB
		/		Rest

With Debian, most of the stuff you install will be in .deb format.  These
packages have specific locations where they install the software (not
usually in /usr/local) so the software is system software (not local
software) so you'll probably want a pretty big / partition.  Depending on
how much you plan to compile and install yourself (without using .deb's)
you can shrink or grow /usr/local accordingly.

Actually, if you're only using one disk, you can get by with 3 partitions:

		/dos		500MB
		/swap		128MB
		/		REST

On a single physical disk, you don't gain anything by making a bunch of
partitions (although you get to know mount and /etc/fstab)--if your disk
crashes, you lose everything anyway and you don't gain any speed since
there's only one I/O path for the data.

Usually, when you see a system with a bunch of mount points, it's because
there's more than one disk.  Using 4 2GB drives is better than one 8GB
drive because:

	1.  if one drive goes down, you only lose the data on that one drive,
	    not the other 3.
	2.  there are 4 I/O paths for data (i.e. you can read from more than one
disk
	    simultaneously) which reduces I/O wait times and speeds up the system.

Hope this help you out.
Erik