using apt to upgrade from 1.3 to 2.0

Hello All:

I have a dozen or so debian boxes which I have been reluctant to upgrade
up to now.  I read in the apt README that it can be used to do a major
upgrade such as the 1.3 to 2.0.  I have been unsuccessful up to now but
maybe it is just my ignorance.  The problems I am encountering are that
the only version of apt that I can find 0.1.8 which requires libc6 in
order to work at all.  This means that I need to use the autoup script
before trying apt-get.  This is not what I understood from the README but
maybe it is the only way.

Any suggestions?

Carlo

Carlo U. Segre