Re: Missing file error

Hello:

On Wed, Dec 02, 1998 at 12:36:20PM -0800, Curt Howland wrote:

> After getting hacked over the holidays, I decided to upgrade
> to slink. I'm getting the following error:
>
> Setting up e2fsprogs (1.12-4) ...
> ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/lib/i486-linuxaout/libdb.so.1 (No
> such file r directoryg
>
> There's nothing in that directory but one link called "libdb.so.1"
> pointing to a non-existant file.
>
> Any ideas what should have created that file, or how to make one?

I had a similar problem when installing the deb packages for gnome, so
maybe this will be of help to you.

I got installed lib-gtk and lib-gtk-dev packages, but between the
packages you have to download to get gnome working, there was a new
version of both of this, but as I was installing by hand, I was just
installing the runtime ones (to get them working), and when I
installed the new lib-gtk, I begin getting messages from ldconfig like
the one you tell, so I did a:

dpkg -S /usr/lib/libgtk.so

And resulted that that file was added by the lib-gtk-dev package, but
was pointing to a file with a lesser version than the one installed,
so I solved my problem by installing the corresponding -dev deb
package.

As far as I can tell, this was because the previous lib-gtk-dev depend
on lib-gtk version >= lib-gtk-dev version (as does the one in the
packages for gnome), which resulted not true in this case. This may be
thought as a bug in the packages, but as the gnome packages I am using
are from a third party (ie. not on the distributions area of debian
mirrors), I think I can't fill a bug against the stable ones, because
I am on doubt what package is on error here. And I think those are
rare exceptions, as the vast majority of the -dev packages depend on
runtime packages with the same version, not more, and not less.

Well, all of this to tell you that if you run:

dpkg -S /usr/lib/i486-linuxaout/libdb.so.1

Will tell you which package leaved that file on there, may it be a
-dev package, you can check if the version of the runtime one match,
and if not, upgrade/downgrade the -dev package.

See you
Roberto Ruiz

ps. I can't tell you in which package this file lives on, as I don't
have it on my system.

--
Never trust an operating system you don't have source for!