Re: upgrading to slink

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Jameson Burt wrote:

 : I see no upgrade notes for slink.
 : For hamm, these upgrade notes reside in
 :    .../hamm/hamm/upgrade-i386/README-upgrade
 : Usually, I just use dpkg to install whatever packages I want from the
 : upgrade distribution.  For example, I might install a newer gimp from slink.
 : Since I wouldn't have upgraded the base packages, I learned that using
 : dpkg prematurely can cause little problems.
 : Upgrading from rex to bo: I EVENTUALLY HAD TO REINSTALL FROM SCRATCH.
 : Upgrading from bo to hamm: I EVENTUALLY HAD TO REINSTALL FROM SCRATCH.
 :
 : Upgrading from hamm to slink: WHAT CAN I EXPECT.
 : With no instructions, I certainly will not use raw dpkg to add packages
 : from slink to my current hamm distribution --
 : unless of course "dependencies" prevent this (do they now?).

You're always taking a risk when you use unstable or frozen.

Having said that, I've found that using `apt-get install <package>' to
be very good about not hosing dependencies.

If you ever use `dpkg --force' you get what you deserve.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD