Install issue

Hi, everybody..

Here is a question for you. I'm rather new in LINUX (but not in UNIX),
and I encountered a major issue trying to install it, in a multi-OS
environment.

My system is an AMD cpu with all needed to run well (!?)... I have a
8.6GB disk, on which I installed (using W95 FDISK):

	primary partition C	Fat16	502MB <-w95
	extended partition (rest of the disk)
		logical D	unknown 2GB
		logical E	unknown 2GB
		logical F	unknown 1.6GB
		logical G	unknown 2GB
		logical H	unknown 198MB

the "unknown" are there simply because I did not yet format those
logical drives (in a first attempt, they were formated, same problem was
encountered). I could install previously NT in partition E, and use dual
boot (W95/NT) without problem. I want to use partition G for Devian and
H for swap.... All seems OK, until I use cfdisk, which gives me an error
about a bad primary partition... escaping to a shell and using fdisk and
p, it shows me a correct C (/dev/hda1) but some strange data for
/dev/hda2. At one point in time, don't recall exactely what happened, if
found the logical partitions, labeled /dev/hda[5-9].. but after that, my
boot sector went to the drain and I had to reload the whole stuff....

Any idea why the extended partition is not correctly decoded by cfdisk?
I also tried to reduce the extended partition to leave free space for
the 2 linux partition, but this did not work either!!!!! Kind of
stuck!!!!

Any hint welcome.

--

Philippe