Re: How to fix Kernel panic

"TONY ANG" <z513416@income.com.sg> writes:

> 1.  [ ] text/plain          [*] text/html

(Please post just in plain text.)

> Now,I cannot boot from HDD as I did normally. I tried booting from F.Disk but
> I have this Msg" Kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 03:06 " Can you
> please advice me what to fix my problem by : 1. Let me know how this happen
> and

If you're using LILO to boot (quite likely) its parameters have become
screwed up.  Or worse, your hard drive has.  :-(

03:06 is /dev/hda6 (look in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt
once it's working).  The kernel is complaining because it can't find a
Linux (ext2) file system on /dev/hda6.

> 2: How shall I fix this problem

If you know which partition the root Linux system is on, you can enter
different parameters to boot from a different drive:

    linux root=/dev/hda1

If not, use your rescue disk and switch to Alt-F2 after it boots but
before installing anything.  Here you can use fdisk etc. to find out
which partition is which, and mount them to see what's on them.

Once you get it to boot, edit /etc/lilo.conf to work right, run
"/sbin/lilo" again, and reboot to make sure it worked.

"Is there anyone who actually believes that USAicans are so modest or
intellectually honest as to be unable to find someone to sue?" - Cameron Laird