Re: Howto: Printing Howtos?

David Stern <dstern@u.washington.edu> writes:

> On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 21:13:43 MST, Bob Nielsen wrote:
> > Joachim,
> >
> > I usually do something like 'zcat XXX-HOWTO.gz | a2ps -4' (although you
> > could pipe to lpr instead).
>
> I don't usually print HOWTO's, but something I do with similarly
> formatted text is to use enscript to print "2-up" (two pages side by
> side on one page) to save trees, yet remain easily readable (less page
> flipping, too).  This yields postscript output, so you'll need to have
> the gs package or equivalent setup if you don't have a postscript
> printer.  Anyway, I run a command something like:
>
>   enscript -fTimes-Roman10 -2rG -p infile.txt outfile.ps
>   (I mostly do this on other unix brands, so man enscript)
>
> and I can view the output .ps file before printing using my favorite ps
> viewer, xdvi, also packaged for Debian.  Saves a lot of paper.

If you really want to save paper you can also print double sided.
Just run 'psselect -o outfile.ps | lpr' to print the odd pages, flip
the paper stack over, and then run 'psselect -e outfile.ps | lpr' to
get the even pages.  Some printers may need a '-r' in one of the
psselect commands to reverse the order.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org