Re: How to customize fvwm entries ?

> shaulk@netvision.net.il (shaul) writes:
>
> > It seems to me that you are wrong, since when new packages are installed,
> > update-menus considers the users who run update-menus as well.
> > I am saying that on the basis of the following lines (from
> > /usr/doc/menu/html/ch5.html):
>
> [snip]
>
> > Am I right ?
>
> One of us should just try it and see.

I am wrong. I just tried it (unless there is some cron script, or something
else, that I couldn't find although I looked for). The users customizations do
not get updated even when the sytem menu does.

> But the reason I don't think it will update individual users' menus is
> that when I run it, all the menus get put in ~/.fvwm2/<whatever>.
> When root runs it, the menus go into /etc/X11/fvwm2/<whatever>.  If
> something changes because a new package is installed, the files in
> /etc/X11/fvwm2/ will be changed, but the old files in ~/.fvwm2/ will
> still contain the old data, and will override the new data, until that
> user runs update-menus again.

Should this behavior of the update-menus be changed ? Perhaps update-menus
should keep a list of the users that run it on their home dir ?
As a first step, perhaps users (at least those with a menu customizations)
should be email-ed to let them know that the system menu has been changed ?

BTW:
1) Is it my bad English, or does /usr/doc/menu/html/ch5.html indeed imply that
users customizations are getting updated in these circumstances ?

2) Maybe dpkg should automatically email-ed all the users about software
changes ? (which will be added to the long list of dpkg wishes)