Re: HELP! 2.0 (hamm) base install impass

> I have installed 5 1.4MB base floppies without any problem. Then I have
> browsed the dselect to familiarize myself with it, and quit it and went
> to bad happy.

:)

> This was three nights ago.
>
> Since then I am trying to continue from where I left to connect to a
> mirror site and finish up my installation.
>
> I have two formidable blocks:
>
>    * Although the base install was promised to contain "networking" I
>      cannot see the "pppd", "chat" etc in there.

try dpkg -s ppp. ppp and ppp-pam should be installed as part of the base
system.

>    * I cannot start dselect. I cannot even find an executable called
>      "dselect" (or "dpkg" for that matter) neither in the environment
>      booted off the floppy, nor in the hard-disk system that I
>      installed. Yet I am sure they must be there, as I have been dropped
>      into "dselect" once.

Hmm... are you booting from floppy (the custom boot floppy you made), or
direct from hard disk (it should not matter tho)?

you need to be root to install stuff and configure the network (I've
needed ppp, so I can't help there). /usr/bin/dpkg and /usr/bin/dselect are
the executables you need tho...

HTH,

Matthew

--