Re: Can't remote X

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Kent West wrote:

>Now, for the Thanksgiving weekend, I've traveled 150 miles east (from
>Abilene to Ft Worth) to my folks' house, and am using my Debian laptop on
>my Mom's ISP and trying to telnet back to my Abilene Debian box. However,
>I'm getting an error to the effect that the client is not authorized to
>connect to the Xserver. Is this some sort of default setting in Debian
>that I need to turn off somewhere, or is it some sort of barrier in Mom's
>ISP service, or what?
>
>Any clues as to how I can connect?

You have to do, on the machine running the server:

	xhost "client ip"

this will authorize the client.

>PS. I've heard people refer to rlogin and ssh and have kindda gotten the
>impression that these are alternative means of "telnetting" in; maybe this
>relates to my problem?

If you use ssh the X connection doesn't go directly to your Xserver, but it
passes through a virtual proxy on the client side (so it can be crypted); the
ssh protocol manages all that.

Hope this helps

Cesare Tagliaferri