Re: netscape woes

Ed Cogburn wrote:
  >	Question #1:  The location /usr/local is reserved (by the Filesystem
  >Standard) for packages/programs you the local admin/user installs
  >yourself.  These programs are not known by the Debian/dpkg system.  dpkg
  >is not allowed to do anything in /usr/local, thus it must install the
  >things it deals with (*.deb) elsewhere.

To be strictly accurate, this is not a restriction in dpkg but in policy.
If a package says a file in in /usr/local, dpkg will put it there; but
Debian maintainers must not allow their packages to put files in
/usr/local.

It is perfectly possible for you to make packages for local use which
could legitimately use /usr/local. You would be aggrieved if dpkg were
to override your wishes!

     "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the
      life; no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."
                                         John 14:6