RE: ldconfig can't find libgtk.so etc.

I had a similar problem when upgraded from libgtk1 (1.0.4) to (1.0.6).
In the /usr/lib directory, I had the same symlinks as you, but the
files pointed to weren't in that dir. I had:

libglib.so.1.0.6
libgtk.so.1.0.6
libgdk.so.1.0.6

That was the reason of the warning. But, why did I have those
bad symlinks? Because it is necessary to install also the -dev
package of libgtk. If you have libgtk-dev (1.0.4), the symlinks
are bad created.  (At least in my box...)

Hope this helps

Javi