Re: Cyrillic input in X

Hi, Alexey

   On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 04:54:35PM +0100, E.L. Meijer Eric" wrote:

   > I see ...  I only once set up reading cyrillic web pages for some
   > Bulgarian colleagues of mine, but never configured cyrillic input.
   > Maybe you could have a look at the xmodmap man page.  I think you
   > should be able to reassign keys with this.  It is also described in the

   Yes, xmodmap is one of the solutions.
   The second is xruskb. You can find it in Debian as a package.

   But this two solutions are "Nasty hacks (tm)" :)

and what so "nasty" (tm) in xmodmap ? it was quite blessed
solution till what? X11R6, where Xkb extension was introduced?
And due to backward compatibility xmodmap and friends work just
fine with X11R6...

   The Right Thing - to use Xkb & locale.

Locales are irrelevant to Xkb. I'm using locales with xrus...

   But there are some problems and
   misconfigurations in all Linux distributions. Debian tuning is described on my
   page www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Station/8116/.

well, read the page - nicely done...

FYI, RH 5(.1) glibc come with russian koi8 locale which is  called ru_SU.
It would be nice to be compatible with RH. Second, xrus comes with
nice icon indicator which changes the bitmap when you're switching languages.
Keyboard LEDs as indicators are just not good for me (and, i suspect, for lots of
other people) - i don't like to move my eyes from screen to keyboard.

regards

OK