Re: partition table on dos zip disks

david wrote,

> > I need to know *exactly*  where the partition lies.  Is it the whole
> > disk?  It seems to me that there's a tiny bit left for some reason,
> > that isn't used in the partition.  And since I only get one shot at
> > this, if I lay the partition wrong . . .

> I'm not sure what your problem is, because I've just used zip disks
> as if they were fixed, with the same tools. I'm hoping you haven't
> screwed the low-level formatting, though.

me too :)

THe drive suddenly failed.  If you insert a zip disk, it tries to
mount, but clobbers the partition table.  Hopefully not the rest of the
disk :(  I think i recovered a pair of ext2fs disks, so it should be ok.

> > Hmm, can I use dd to make a copy of the disk even though it has no
> > partition table?  As in
> >
> >     dd if=/dev/sda of=zipback

> Yes, though I'd add bs=512 to that command. But I'm not sure why you
> want to make a copy of *that* disk (i.e. the "faulty" one). Why not
> use dd to copy a good disk to a file, then copy the file to the faulty
> one and you'll end up with a clone, partition 4 and all.

Because I don't have a good disk with the data I need.  This disk was
the backup of the dark side installation that came on my laptop.  It
turns out that i need it rather than drdos to access the sound
software.  But true to murphy, the backup got clobbered.  I want it
back :)  And I want more than one shot at getting it back.  I'm
assuming that dd will do a low level copy of the whole disk, junk and
all, so that i get more than one shot at fixing it.

rick