Debian Crash

My Debian system just crashed.  This has never happened before, which is
one of the things I like about Linux.

I've got a pretty standard Hamm system, and I was running X with emacs
(20), xmix, and netscape, with a navigator and mail window open.  I went
on a webpage I've visited many times before (www.tomshardware.com), and
everything seized up: the mouse wouldn't move, I couldn't move between
virtual desktops and I couldn't move between virtual teminals.  I waited a
pressed the big red button, and restarted that way.

The only non-Debian software I have installed is xaudio, an X window mpeg
layer 3 audio player, which is off /root/mpeg (I was just trying it out).
My hardware is an old(ish) Cyrix 6x86 (M1) P200+ on a SuperMicro P5xtra
motherboard, 32mb DRAM (2simms), Matrox millenium 4mb, WD harddrive,
mitsumi Cd rom, soundblaster awe64 pnp, microsoft serial mouse.

Up 'till now, everything seems to have been working fine (I've had random
crashes under win95, but I think that's a feature of the OS).

My questions:

	Is there a problem with my hardware (it's quite old)?
	Was there a problem with Linux?
	If not, is there now?
	If so, how do I fix it?
	What should I do to test the components in my system individually?
		I put it together myself (about 2 years ago), so I don't
		mind poking around inside.