Re: Can I start X while other stuff going on?

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Kent West wrote:

> On 10 Nov 1998, Gary L. Hennigan wrote:
>
> > Kent West <westk@heir.acu.edu> writes:
> >
> > | Can I switch to another virtual terminal and start X Windows while I've
> > | got something else going on in the first vterm, such as a download or a
> > | dselect session, etc?
> >
> > Absolutely. You can switch to VT2 and whip that startx right onto the
> > command line (well, you might have to log in first, but you get the
> > drift). Actually, you can even start it in the background and still
> > have that VT available, I think. X, by default, always starts on VT7
> > (i.e., Ctrl+Alt+F7).
> >
> > | And if I can, once I'm in X, how do I then get back to where I can see how
> > | the download is progressing? Do I just Ctrl-Alt-F[key] back to the
> > | original vterm, or can I bring up the process in an Xterm or something
> > | similar?
> >
> > Bringing the output up in an xterm would be a trick, but yes, you can
> > simply switch back to the VT of your choice using Ctrl+Alt+F[1-6].
> >

> I tried putting a running program (lynx) in the background by pressing ^Z,
> and then started X Windows and thought maybe I could foreground the app in
> an Xterm, but I guess either I don't know what I'm doing or it just
> doesn't work. I ran ps to find the PID of the job (say 14096), then typed
> "fg 14096", but I get a reply that there is no such job.  Did I do
> something wrong along the way, or is this just not going to work?

This is because you're trying to tell bash to forground job 14096, which
doesn't exist. AFAIK, you can only fg and bg jobs started from that
shell..

Matthew

disclaimer: this is a non-definitive answer ;)

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Selwyn College Computer Support
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/8841/