Re: I want to merge two Linux installations into one

webmaster@weitzmann.it wrote:

> This is my situation:
>
> /dev/hda1       200 mb for Winblows
> (required because Linux does not support my SCSI card SYM 53c416)
> /dev/hda2       32 mb swap
> /dev/hda3       800 mb Debian 2.0 (new install)
> /dev/hda4       1 gb RH 5.1
>
> I would like to have just Linux Debian 2.0 installed, preserving my RH
> /home.
> And I would like to have /usr and /tmp (and I'm thinking about /var...
> on /dev/hda4)

	You could boot Debian, login as root, mount /dev/hda4 at any work,
temporary directory -- for example /mnt/rh;

mount -t ext2fs /mnt/rh /dev/hda2

	then delete everything but in this /mnt/rh except /mnt/rh/home;

rm -Rf /mnt/rh/usr /mnt/rh/root /mnt/rh/etc ...

	move /mnt/rh/home to /mnt/rh:

mv /mnt/rh/home/* /mnt/rh; rmdir /mnt/rh/home

	unmount it, remove Debian's /home and mount your /dev/hda4 in its
place:

umount /mnt/rh; rm -R /home; mount -t ext2fs /home /dev/hda4

	Now, if you would like to have /tmp and (or) /var, or you add disks or
you will need to back up and modify at least one partition...

--
Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corcete Dutra
Amdocs Brasil Ltda