Re: Suggestions for implementing xntp

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Erik van der Meulen wrote:

> I have installed the xntp package, and managed to configure it to connect to
> a time server all right. It seems that the deamon only works on boot up in
> the default configuration, for my log file shows no activity ever since. The
> documentation is very thorough, but also very general.
> I was hoping that someone could supply some idea of how to operate it
> periodically like once a day, maybe from cron, or so.
> I have a permanent Internet link, so that should be no problem.

I use the standard configuration for xntpd, and it just works fine. I
just added the "server" lines for the ntp server names (add your ntp
servers there)

--snip--
# /etc/ntp.conf, configuration for xntpd

logfile /var/log/xntpd
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
statsdir /var/log/ntpstats/

statistics loopstats peerstats clockstats
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

server ntp0
server ntp1
server ntp2
server ntp3