tty's under X

OK, I must have done something stupid to screw up my system, but ever
since I rebooted, I can no longer use biff, write, and other tty-based
utilities under X.  Here's what happens:

chinook:~> tty
/dev/ttyp7
chinook:~> write maxk /dev/ttyp7
write: maxk is not logged in on ttyp7.
chinook:~> w
  7:11pm  up 35 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.04, 0.00
USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU  WHAT
maxk     tty1                       7:04pm  6:18  10.24s  0.04s  xinit /usr/X11R

Specifically, all of the xterms think they have their own ttyp's, but
they don't show up in utmp and the ownership on the ttyp's doesn't get
changed correctly.  What's going on?

Max