Re: detecting unscheduled reboot due to power failure

One way is for something that is executed during a shutdown to touch a
file somewhere. On bootup, one of the startup scripts checks for that
file. If it finds it, deletes it and knows that the last shutdown was
commanded. If the file does not exist, it assumes the last shutdown was
unplanned and sends you an email.