slink features?

Since I am going to install Debian 2.1 on a new hard drive once it is released,
I thought I'd ask a few pertinent questions here (I haven't installed Debian
since Feb98).

- Has the install process changed? improved?
- Is apt or dselect used? which is recommended?
- Which C compiler (GCC/EGCS) is default? C++?
- Can I choose at install time?
- Which WM is installed as default?
- Is GNOME and Enlightenment ready to go out of the box? What versions?

Basically, I intend to do GTK+/GNOME development. I need a machine ready to work
in that environment. I have one now but it's pieced together from tarball
releases. I'd like to stick with apt/packages if Debian can keep up relatively
well.

In practice, I typically find that if I try to use dselect to maintain my
system, things quickly degrade. Has that changed?

When is slink slated for release? Should I buy a new drive this month, or just
wait till next month?

--
SEGV    http://www.cgocable.net/~mlepage/