/var/lib

I have trouble understanding /var/lib.
I'm trying to set up a network of debian workstations. They will have /usr
nfs-mounted from a server (ro), local /var and the / copied over using
cfengine (excludung hardware-dependent files).
The question is what should I do with /var/lib ?
Is it something that can be generated locally ? Does not seem to be: tex
requires quite a lot of files in there in order to work. Can I mount it ro
via nfs ? But then why is it /var ? Presumably I need a write access
there. Do I have to distribute the contents of /var/lib to all clients ?
But that's quite a lot (I see 25Mb), and then I can accidentally overwrite
local files - so this is no better than nfs.

So, what is /var/lib ? What should I do with it ?

Sergey.