Disk problems

Hello, all.

I installed Debian 2.0 (2.0.34) Greenbush distribution.
My disks are 2 IDE drives, a 540M and 2.5G slave.

The partitions are (df output)
/dev/hda1     99029   ... /
/dev/hda3   348873   ... /home
/dev/hdb1   495714   ... /var
/dev/hdb2 1926659   ... /usr

I had problems making a kernel, but finally managed to build a bzImage.
The kernel booted, and upon testing, realized that I needed to rebuild
the kernel.
That's when the fun started. The make failed, when it couldn't process
some .c files in /usr/src/linux/lib/ - "file" said they were MPEG files.

Firing up emacs, it complained about not being able to find
/usr/local/share/emacs/...
files, and sure enough, /usr/local/share was no longer a directory, but
some .c file.

Running fsck was a nightmare.
Instead, I rebooted from the installation cdrom, and repartitioned the
disks, checked
for bad blocks (passed), and started dselect. On Install, what I got was
multiple

EXT_fs error (device 03:42): ext2_find_entry : bad entry in directory
#8193 : rec_len
is too small for name_len - offset 0, inode 538976288, rec_len=8224,
name_len=8224

Is my disk toast?
Any and all help will be appreciated.

-Paul Biciunas