Re: UPS systems and Debian/Linux?

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, Chris R. Martin wrote:

> I am looking to get a couple UPS units to protect my (2) Debian 2.0/Linux
> boxes. I don't need a lot of running time; I just want to be able to
> shutdown in case of a short power outage. I need a unit with uses a serial
> port to communicate its status, but statistics, etc are not needed. Also, I
> don't have a large budget for this.

 If you want to get *really* cheap, take a look at the UPS HOWTO
(http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/UPS-HOWTO.html). In section 7 he has a
suggestion that I sent in. The basic idea is that you get a UPS that
doesn't have a serial port (which are certainly cheap) and you use an old
modem (even a 2400 baud will do) as a line power monitor.

 It doesn't give you stats (or really, anything except notification that
the power went out), but you say you don't need them. The chief benefit is
that it's *dirt cheap*. I use genpowerd to monitor the modem. Email me if
you want to know how to set it up like this.

 If you like, you can even use the modem for communications while it's
also acting as a line monitor. I've got an external 33.6 that I use in
just this way.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles          (248) 377-7735          ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "Computers let you make more mistakes faster than any other invention
  in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
                           Mitch Radcliffe