Re: dpkg/apt-get madness

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998, E.L. Meijer (Eric) wrote:

> > Packages were downloaded and processing started, then the trouble began:
> > I noticed that "startx" disappeared!
>
> I seemed to remember that the X11 maintainer specifically mailed to this
> list that the slink X packages were severely broken and only to be used
> by brave peoply meaning to help with the debugging process.
That phase of the 3.3.2.3a-6 release of X is over and the next one is
into testing (available only from the package maintainers website though).
The problem here is that xbase has been split into a trillion and one
little packages, good idea...bad timing although I hasten to add that
is what one gets for using an unstable dist, anyway you'll probably
want to install all the packages in the README.Debian file in
/usr/doc/xbase ..... then some more. I only found out how broken it
all was until I instaled slink on another guys machine the other night
:)

Nikolai