Re: SCSI problem, can't instal Debian

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Reagan Doose wrote:

> I am trying to install Debian 2.0 from a Bootable, SCSI CD.  I have a Dell
> Dimension XPS H266 computer with an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI adapter and a 2GB UW
> hard drive.
>
> All starts off well, I get the boot prompt, and the system looks like it is
> coming up, then I get this:
>
> (scsi0:-1:-1:-1) Bad scbptr 16 during SELTO.
> (scsi0:-1:-1:-1) Referenced SCB 225 not valid during SELTO.
> SCSISEQ = 0x5a SEQADDR = 0xh SSTATO = 0x15 SSTAT1 = 0x8a
>
> This is repeated forever.
>
> This problem did not occur two days ago when I installed RedHat 4.2, so I
> don't think it is a hardware problem.

You're supposed to boot with this lilo append option:
aic7xxx=extended,no_reset
So, from the lilo prompt, you type that  -- once in, edit /etc/lilo.conf,
and add that as an append option (like 'append="aic7xxx=..."'  -- read the
lilo man), and rerun lilo.

For some reason, this only keeps my hard drive from resetting the bus
about 1 in three tries, though, so if that works for you please write me.
:)

--
quiet rob